Cowboy Bebop
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Cowboy Bebop Front Forum Index -> The Cowboy Bebop Front
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GrinfilledCelt
Jeet Kun Do Kung Fu Master

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not too often you see Cowboy Bebop popping up in the news these days. Usually, it's another rumor about the some continuation of the series that never amounts to anything. Friday, I opened ANN to read the news but it was down for maintenance. It had headlines but all the links were dead. There was one item about Bebop saying Orson Scott Card had praised it. Woah! I really like OSC's books and he has nothing to do with anime so I was curious. When I returned to ANN later, it was up and running but that story had vanished. So I Googled and found the article OSC had written that the ANN article was based on.

If you are unfamiliar with Orson Scott Card I strongly recommend that you pick up a copy of Ender's Game. I can't praise that book enough. I've never met anyone who read it and didn't love it. For the moment, you only need to know that Card is a very successful science fiction writer. He said that he was introduced to anime by his daughter and said,
Quote:
...Cowboy Bebop, an anime series that is better than all but a handful of science fiction films, ever...

What can I say, except that to my vast surprise, I found this series brilliant. It's often funny, sexy in a mostly chaste kind of way – these are drawings, after all – and the action is gripping...

But what held me was a combination of strong relationship-based storytelling, a moody visual style that never got old and really smart dialogue.

I'd compare this to the great TV series Firefly, except that since Firefly came out in 2002, and resembles Cowboy Bebop in many ways (including quality), I can't guess whether Firefly creator Joss Whedon was influenced by Cowboy Bebop, was deliberately doing an hommage, or created such a similar series by sheer coincidence.

I remember discussions of Firefly when it came out. Everyone was very indignant about this blatant plagiarism until they actually saw it. Then it was obvious that not only was it very different , it was very good.
Quote:
So ... who's going to enjoy Cowboy Bebop? My wife did, and she likes film sci-fi even less than I do. Not everybody is going to be comfortable with the sometimes eye-popping costumes (though there's no nudity and only rare implied sex).

I came to love Yoko Kanno's explorations of every kind of jazz, beatnik and '50s rock all woven through a delicious new age sensibility; there's more bebop in this series than just the spaceship of that name. In fact, because of the jazz sensibility, the episodes are called "sessions," as if the story were a mere accompaniment to a jazz jam. And maybe it is.

Mostly, though, this series is for people who love good storytelling – and plenty of surprises in every episode. The glory of animation is that you can show things that otherwise could never exist, and the writers, artists and voice actors of Cowboy Bebop do an unforgettably good job.
That's very high praise. I am pleased. Read the whole thing (it's not all that long).
http://greensboro.rhinotimes.com/Articles-c-2011-04-06-207945.112113-Cowboy-Bebop-and-Audiobooks.html

Songs for the flash frozen.
swollenlymphnodes
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My bro in law let me borrow the book and he had the same high praise. I never had the time to read it. Will put Ender's Game on to do list.

I do miss CB. Never gets old. Orson Scott Card is spot on.

+1 on firefly. Another wonderful series that got canceled way way too soon. The movie did nothing for closure, except make you feel jilted. Why is it that all the acclaim and support in the world will do nothing to convince these Executive Producers to resurrect great shows?
GrinfilledCelt

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you remember our discussions about Firefly at AG, nodes? We were really mad.

There are five or six sequels to Ender's Game and they are only okay. None of them came up to it.

I'm surprised I didn't mention it here (maybe it's in the News thread) but there was supposed to be a re-release of the Bebop movie back in December. I haven't seen it though.

swollenlymphnodes
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do. Vaguely.
GrinfilledCelt

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been over a year now. Did you get around to reading Ender's Game yet, nodes?

Looky here! Actual Bebop news! There's a new blue ray boxed set coming out THAT HAS NEW BEBOP STUFF! That's right, my fingers didn't slip, there is

NEW COWBOY BEBOP MATERIAL!

...Well, not yet. It's supposed to come out just before Crispness and it'll cost a fortune.
Quote:
Included in the limited editions will be a novel written specifically for the boxset by lead Bebop script writer Keiko Nobumoto, as well as a "Ein's Summer Vacation" picture drama. Other extras include collections of production materials, audio commentaries, and bonus footage included in various other releases of the series. The Amazon edition of the box will also come with postcards, a poster, and the bonus "Future Blues" DVD.

swollenlymphnodes
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry haven't read it, and really don't see it happening soon. I am going on vacation next month for the first time in a few years so if I remember to buy the book... I can read it while in transit.

I did start rewatching CB prior to my anime watching explosion of late and remebered thinking how cool it'd be to have blu-ray quality. I have mixed feelings on that though... since upscaled video doesn't always look good. If they remaster from the original art... then maybe.

Now, I'd hate for this to sound like blasphemy, but I'm not the CB fanboy that would line up to buy a bluray released version of CB. I love Cowboy Bebop for what it did for me when I first watched it (Just love anime that is epic and not pretentious), and love the fact that it resulted in the message board subculture that I loved being on at AG when I was a college kid... but it is what it is: A chapter for one of the fun times in my life.

If I have some money to spare I may or may not buy it. Either way it still remains one of my favorite all time anime.
GrinfilledCelt

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you still read for pleasure at all anymore, nodes, Ender's Game will not dissapoint. Of course, any book that has won both the Hugo and Nebula awards is a winner.

I wasn't expecting anyone to go nuts and sell their little sister to put in a pre-order. Cowboy Bebop is just good - like Casablanca or Citizen Caine good. It wouldn't surprise me if this new stuff wasn't - but I'm sure going to download it.

As far as it being on Blue Ray, I don't really care about that. If I can, I'll pick up a copy. I don't own a BR player, but I have every other edition that has been released here. I just can't see how taking out the fuzziness would be any improvement. It's integral to the show as far as I'm concerned.

GrinfilledCelt

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Designer Kawamoto Sketches Cowboy Bebop: A Photo Series
Quote:
Character designer Toshihiro Kawamoto sketched one of his most famous works, Cowboy Bebop, at Tokyo International Anime Fair on Thursday. He drew the characters on the booth of BONES, the anime studio he co-founded with producer Masahiko Minami and the late animation director Hiroshi Osaka.

GrinfilledCelt

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After all these years, my muse has struck again.
WARNING: There are mild spoilers in this... call it a commentary on Cowboy Bebop. It may even inspire you to see it again.

[spoiler]The characters in Cowboy Bebop are the core of the show. It's these characters that make the show great. They have such unusual depth. You get to know each of them intimately in their very personal, private struggles. The show isn't sad because of it's ending. The entire show is filled with sorrow.

Spike is just drifting through his life, half dead. he says, "I Feel as if I'm watching a dream." and it describes him well. His heart has been torn out. He is empty and there is no meaning or purpose to his life. It doesn't matter to him if he survives the day.

Julia is the part of Spike that has been torn away just as he is her missing heart. They are both trapped apart from each other - incomplete. Just going through the motions, day by day, without any real involvement.

Ed is has a lot more depth than most people realize. She is a genius but very much a child. She craves a family and tries to create one wherever she is but she is alone in the world.

Jet is an honorable man. He lives according to strict moral codes - a man of his word. His great tragedy is that he is fated to live in a world that just doesn't care about those things.

People always talk about a possible romance between Faye and Spike or Jet. That's nonsense. They would be like vinegar and oil. It might appeal to other people, but they'd never stay together. The one Faye really identifies with is Ed. She tells Ed that there is somewhere she belongs and to go find it, "Because belonging is the best thing". Faye also craves a family, someone to take care of her, but she has become very cynical and can't trust anyone. She struggles with her past as they all do. - a past she can't even remember and when she does remember she doesn't gain anything from knowing.

Vicious is different. He's okay with his past. He struggles with his future. All the people around him are just pawns to him. He manipulates and plays dangerous games with them in order to fulfill his ambitions or just his cruel impulses. You feel no sympathy for him but his life is just as tragic and he's just as isolated as the rest. Some think there is a love triangle going on with Vicious, Julia and Spike. No. Vicious doesn't have room in his small black heart for love. He has trapped Julia apart from Spike for his amusement and he loves to torment his caged bird.

Yes, this show is filled with sorrow from beginning to end and that is what makes this show great. Yet somehow it manages to be upbeat and uplifting. We know these sorrows and struggles. We all face them every day, punctuated with brief moments of joy and humor that help us bear it. Or at least we well understand them. This show is real life.

Add to that the wonderful stories, skilled storytelling, beautiful backgrounds and composition, and some of the best original music I have heard in any show; and you have a masterpiece destined to become a genera of it's own.[/spoiler]

GrinfilledCelt

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome! The ANG playing Sax Quartet! Also in there is a possible source for CB sheet music.

Street Band Tank!

Marching Band Cowboy Bebop Medley

Rush

There's a whole mess of these there.

GrinfilledCelt

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The show on Brew Rai!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=LSxTcaDBPbs

GrinfilledCelt

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been meaning to mention that I was at the local Enormous Flee Market last week. I asked a vendor if he had anything anime related and he said, "No, but I know who does. He took me to another booth in the next aisle. The lady there said she only had a Gundam model left and that last week she sold a Cowboy Bebop space ship model for $20. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Crku1g7o_MI

AAHHHHHRG!!!! I would have gleefully spent $100 I can't afford for that. I never thought I would ever see one of those and I guess I never will. =0(

GrinfilledCelt

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's see if I can remember how to do this...

This is pretty cool and very lame at the same time. I imagine Spike would react to this guy the same way he did to Cowboy Andy. =0D

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Cowboy Bebop Front Forum Index -> The Cowboy Bebop Front All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: