long time no see, huh?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Cowboy Bebop Front Forum Index -> The Cowboy Bebop Front
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jjjynx
Jeet Kun Do Kung Fu Master

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But then who says I DO anymore?
swollenlymphnodes
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's two of the more amusing stories.

1) One friend was sitting on the toilet when it happened. And his discription of rocking and all the shelves shaking as he was sitting there was pretty funny. There were two shocks... the 6.6 initial one, and the 14 aftershock. He was yelling out loud to his mom as he sat on the toilet, "earthquake!" She thought he was joking so she kept yelling at him to shut up.

2) My work mate said he was at a drivethrough of a Jack in the Box... (That's a fast food restaurant for you east coast/international people). Just as he got his order in for breakfast, the earthquake happened and the power went out. He got his food... but his friend who just missed ordering by that one instant didn't have any food. My workmate refused to share his food. This same friend, who happens to be an engineer like me, talked about wanting to go looting. What an idiot.

Yeah the bigger deal on our island is the lack of power ranging from 6-12 hours.
IronPoke
Forum Dullard
Forum Dullard

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny stories. Yeah, looting is for bad people. But it's better that you have funny stories rather than bad news. 6-12 hours is bad, but it could have been worse. Now, the aftershock had a magnitude of 14!? Isn't that a bit excessive? I thought 9s were 'rip a hole in the earth' huge, so correct me on this.

I miss Jack in the Box, I haven't seen any since OK. Though I can imagine some strange stuff being on the menu down on the island. Mahi mahi burgers and poi fries, anyone?
swollenlymphnodes
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe the magnitudes were measured at or close to the source which is between Maui and the Big Island. Oahu is quite a ways away. The only specialty item for Hawaii Jack In the Box is for breakfast... we have a Portuguese Sausage Rice and Eggs Platter. So does Burger King and McDonalds... but McDonalds has much more like, Saimin noodles (Hawaiian Ramen), Teriyaki Beef Burgers, Teriyaki Chicken Burgers...

I am getting hungry as I type this.
GrinfilledCelt

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poke is right, nodes. You must have heard it wrong. There is no way that was a magnitude 14 quake. Everyone in the world would feel a magnitude 14 quake. 6.6 is nothing to sneeze at but a 14 would make Krakatoa look like a dog fart. There wouldn't be any Hawaiian Islands left.

The USGS wrote:
On the Richter Scale, magnitude is expressed in whole numbers and decimal fractions. For example, a magnitude 5.3 might be computed for a moderate earthquake, and a strong earthquake might be rated as magnitude 6.3. Because of the logarithmic basis of the scale, each whole number increase in magnitude represents a tenfold increase in measured amplitude; as an estimate of energy, each whole number step in the magnitude scale corresponds to the release of about 31 times more energy than the amount associated with the preceding whole number value.

This was all I could find on the aftershocks (in bold):
Reuters wrote:
Hawaii quake caused more than $40 million damage
HONOLULU, Oct 17 (Reuters) - Last Sunday's 6.7 magnitude Hawaiian earthquake, the most powerful in the Pacific archipelago in two decades, caused more than $40 million in damage, according to preliminary estimates on Tuesday.

Hawaiian officials said they expected the figure to rise as Red Cross, federal emergency teams and engineers scour the islands to assess damages to roads, bridges, schools and other buildings.

No deaths or serious injuries were reported in the quake but repeated aftershocks have jolted Hawaiians as they struggle to return to normal. The biggest -- a 4.0 magnitude temblor -- hit the islanders early on Tuesday morning.

Vindell Hsu, a geophysicist with the Pacific Tsunami Warning Center in Honolulu, said the aftershocks were not strong enough to generate a tsunami.

Hawaii's Big Island, a major tourist attraction, bore the brunt of the damage. Seven schools were badly hit and the port of Kawaihae was closed.

The island's historic Hulihee Palace was also badly hit, said Troy Kindred, Hawaii County civil defense administrator.

The two-story palace houses artifacts dating to the days before Western contact.
That doesn't sound bad at all for 6.7, although it would be bad enough if anyone you know or your property got caught up in it. I'm glad that you're alright. It doesn't even sound like you were inconvenienced.

Songs for the flash frozen.
maurasayshi
AG Refugee
AG Refugee

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

geez i like the stories.

this thread went out into the deep end for a minute, there, but i think a few jokes brought it back to life..still breathin
swollenlymphnodes
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, don't worry about the death of threads. Dread the resident thread resurrector sees to it that no thread dies. You will see him do his dirty work, by replying to 3 month old threads and instantly revive them to the hustling and bustling centers of civilation they once were in their heyday.

Old threads do have a good deal of entertainment value though, and I admit that I read them for kicks sometimes.
IronPoke
Forum Dullard
Forum Dullard

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

swollenlymphnodes wrote:
You will see him do his dirty work, by replying to 3 month old threads and instantly revive them to the hustling and bustling centers of civilation they once were in their heyday.

That's a bit of an overstatement. Sometimes his attempts at ressurection are met with silence, a little grumbling, or the occasional death threat.
GrinfilledCelt

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This would be a typical response:

jjjynx

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish pictures could be placed in AG
Hungry Mongoose
Space Cowboy
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given the complete lack of moderation these days, that would be pretty scary.
jjjynx

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have a point...now that I think of it, I'm already imagining what the people at the General Board can put up...it IS disturbing....
Dread_Knight^Samurai
Space Cowboy
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

swollenlymphnodes wrote:
Ah, don't worry about the death of threads. Dread the resident thread resurrector sees to it that no thread dies. You will see him do his dirty work, by replying to 3 month old threads and instantly revive them to the hustling and bustling centers of civilation they once were in their heyday.

Old threads do have a good deal of entertainment value though, and I admit that I read them for kicks sometimes.

Are you refering me as an evil person here? And Poke is right...but it 's not my fault, you people just don't know how to react.
jjjynx

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well...I once spent 1/2 an hour typing a reply that was almost like an essay....but only after I pressed post I noticed my internet was cut...and after that I never tried anything like that again.
GrinfilledCelt

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only a half hour? You have a very low pain threashold on these things, but I know what you are talking about. It makes you want to pitch your monitor through the nearest window.

I know how to react, Dread, I took How To React 101 and 102 in college and Poke is a chemestry tutor. He knows a thing or two about reactions.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Cowboy Bebop Front Forum Index -> The Cowboy Bebop Front All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8

Jump to: