Holidays
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Cowboy Bebop Front Forum Index -> The Cowboy Bebop Front
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GrinfilledCelt
Jeet Kun Do Kung Fu Master

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 5:24 pm    Post subject: Holidays Reply with quote

Here it is, the obligatory holiday thread.

Thanksgiving is this Thursday in the US. It is supposed to be a day when Americans pause to reflect on what they have and how much worse things could be, but for many it has become just a day devoted to gluttony and football. Most Americans don't even realise how good they have it. Even if you're poor, we have the richest poor people in the world.

Personally, I have a lot to be grateful for. Being alive is at the top of the list after having had a heart attack which should have killed me almost five years ago. I have a close (but not too close), loving family; a roof over my head which I can almost pay for and enough food to eat. Life is good and I am aware and grateful for it all through the year.

I will be spending Thanksgiving at my parent's apartment with most of my immediate family. This isn't traditional for us. Until two years ago we went to my Aunt's house with the rest of my dad's side of the family. We are catholics so it was crowded. Now my aunt is gone and no one has a house big enough to host such an affair.

Songs for the flash frozen.

Last edited by GrinfilledCelt on Mon Dec 11, 2006 4:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
IronPoke
Forum Dullard
Forum Dullard

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never knew any of that about you, Grin. To think that you might not be here today. It's great just to know that you are alive and well. The Front wouldn't be what it is without you.

I myself am both thankful and angry about turning 24. If I had my way, I'd roll back my age like a car odometer. But aging brings changes, even some pleasant ones. I've already had to come to grips with some of the limitations age has brought this far, though they're small pittances compared to what someone like my mom or dad are having to deal with. I'm also thankful for being alive and making a new life in a new state and pursuing a worthwhile career.

This will be a small Thanksgiving, just my parents and I. My family is spread out, they don't usually cluster too much in one single state. Lots of division, too. Being from a mostly Protestant background, the 60s and 70s were a strange time that formed rifts in my family. They all still get along, just from a distance. Family is family, even if they don't always agree.
GrinfilledCelt

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IronPoke wrote:
To think that you might not be here today. It's great just to know that you are alive and well.
I think that's great too. My existance is a source of tremendous joy to me. Blue_PDT_01_16

I missed the part of your moving, Poke. Where are you now and what do you do? 24 is a good age to be. Enjoy it. I had the time of my life at that age. I could tell you blood curdling stories, but me throat...me throat has gone dry...

jjjynx

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thankful I've bred myself a personality that've kept me sane over the years. I'm thankful of all the friends I met, online, offline, here there everywhere. I'm thankful of my Dad who's given me what I needed over the years...thankful of animes for teaching the meaning of truth, justice and pure stupidity...thankful for a wonderful government...and really really thankful to Grin, for if it wasn't for you, I wouldn't have any clue what thanksgiving is about...not where I live.
GrinfilledCelt

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jjjynx wrote:
I'm thankful I've bred myself a personality that've kept me sane over the years.

Marcus Aurelius wrote:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.
Isn't there something like Thanksgiving in your culture, jjjynx? It seems to be universally accepted idea that it is a good thing to pause once in a while and express thanks for what you have instead of continually bitching about what you do not have. It doesn't necessarily take a holiday to do it.

Also you should feel free to start threads about your holidays that we don't have in the US. I could use an education too, not to mention more things to celebrate.

Hungry Mongoose
Space Cowboy
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We don't have anything like Thanksgiving here. But it's ok, because I'm thankful for what I have all the time. For great friends and family, for all those people that give their own time and effort towards helping others, for having a sense of humour, for living on a pretty beautiful planet when you really look at it, and for just everything in general that counteracts all the insane crap that goes on.

We don't have any cool holidays here. Our national holiday is little more than a day off for most people. I do love that we celebrate Guy Fawkes Day though. I think it's great that we have a day to remember a guy who tried to blow up the British parliament when most people don't know who he is and just like having an excuse to set off fireworks once a year.

Though we do have this song by Fred Dagg that does a good job of reminding us we don't have it so bad.
GrinfilledCelt

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a cool song, HM. Where can I get an mp3 of it? Too bad about that guy's wife getting eaten by a couple of super computers though. Otherwise New Zealand is a cool place. If I had to leave the US, it would be high on my list. You have Springtime down there right now, too.

Let us know when Guy Fawkes comes around so we can celebrate it too.

jjjynx

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

o.O Catchy Song...and sure, I'll post up some pics of what happens in town during festivals...since Lunar New Year would be coming soon...and it's the only thing everyone in Singapore goes hyper about, besides National day...but then yet again we do celebrate alot of holidays...so that means alot of days off, but it's just days off, nonetheless.
Dread_Knight^Samurai
Space Cowboy
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ummm....well, I am thankful that I've known who is Miyamoto Musashi without knowing him, I won't be for who I am today. And I'm thankful that I've learn a lot about samurai and knight alike especially honour, dignity, and most importantly the way of the warrior and knight's code of chivalry. I'm very thankful to my mother and father...they've supported me a lot. I am thankful to art....I'm able to express my thoughts better without them I might end up in some asylum. And I am thankful for having friends such as you guys...yeah, crazy, insane, old, young, very old, chubby, cuties, mongooses, musashi's fan, and ehh~ everyone that I know.
GrinfilledCelt

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There isn't anyone here who is "very old", Dread. Blue_PDT_01_50

jjjynx

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea that's right, they're just....Senior
Dread_Knight^Samurai
Space Cowboy
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ummm....well, my father is like 53.
jjjynx

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And he is Senior! Stick to that!
GrinfilledCelt

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sheesh! Over at An-Re, at least, I wasn't the oldest one there. You should show more respect and refer to me as Master, Sensai or at least Sempai.

--

An optimist is a person who starts a new diet on Thanksgiving Day.
Irv Kupcinet

The pilgrims made seven times more graves than huts... nevertheless, set aside a day of thanksgiving.
H. W. Westermayer

On Thanksgiving Day we acknowledge our dependence.
William Jennings Bryan

I love Thanksgiving turkey... it's the only time in Los Angeles that you see natural breasts.
Arnold Schwarzenegger

Thanksgiving, man! Not a good day to be my pants.
Kevin James

Thanksgiving dinners take eighteen hours to prepare. They are consumed in twelve minutes. Half-times take twelve minutes. This is not coincidence.
Erma Bombeck

It was dramatic to watch my grandmother decapitate a turkey with an ax the day before Thanksgiving. Nowadays the expense of hiring grandmothers for the ax work would probably qualify all turkeys so honored with gourmet status.
Russell Baker

Coexistence... what the farmer does with the turkey - until Thanksgiving.
Mike Connolly

My mother is such a lousy cook that Thanksgiving at her house is a time of sorrow.
Rita Rudner

I celebrated Thanksgiving in an old-fashioned way. I invited everyone in my neighborhood to my house, we had an enormous feast, and then I killed them and took their land. [which they in turn stole from the squirrels]
Jon Stewart

IronPoke
Forum Dullard
Forum Dullard

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone got any favorite Thanksgiving dishes? Green bean casserole's pretty good.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Cowboy Bebop Front Forum Index -> The Cowboy Bebop Front All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 1 of 14

Jump to: