Ru's Annual Anime Fan Questionnaire
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Cowboy Bebop Front Forum Index -> The Cowboy Bebop Front
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MidNightBlue
Fayeless Otaku

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My commentary on the trends:

Subs rule! Dubs drool.

Hmm, I didn't realize there was such a high population of people who considered it piracy.
Although the view points seem to be converging, and that's just fascinating all in itself.

I think this would have to be interpreted as how long are you an anime fan before you start filling out surveys on anime, and the answer would be, mostly people who have been seeing anime for 3-5 years would bother with filling out a survey.

Ah, those undergraduates ...
Increasingly younger people are starting to watch anime, I don't know how I feel about that, because a lot of the anime content can be rather violent and stuff ... and other stuff.

I don't like how they chunked the ages, as if a 12 year old is the same things as a 20 year old??
Oh, I see, they must have changed the scales over time, well it needs even more changing that that. I think they should have done something like a histogram and figure what what the natural age divisions are and then go from there.
GrinfilledCelt
Jeet Kun Do Kung Fu Master

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just had a thought about how fansubs relate to my anime buying habits. It's pretty much the same as it is for television. Most of the stuff on tv is crap. Anime scores a bit better than that, but it is much the same. If I really, really like a show; I'll want to buy it. If I really, really, really, really like a show; I probably will. Basically, I try not to buy dvds I'll only watch once since the cash I have for such things is very limited. So I rarely buy anything I haven't already seen and know that I like.

Since the anime aired in America is limited and most of that is stuff for small children, fansubs fill the function of tv for helping me to decide what I purchase. If it weren't for fansubs my anime purchases probably would have stopped after Cowboy Bebop. If it weren't for fansubs there wouldn't be much of an English speaking online anime community where my friends tell me which fansubs I should be viewing. If it weren't for fansubs when I go to the store I'd see very little anime that I have seen, let alone that I really, really, really, really like, and would go buy the first season of Burn Notice instead.

Having to pay to preview anime online, no matter how cheaply, would accomplish two things: first it would immediately and drastically reduce how much anime I view and second, it would reduce the cash I have available to purchase anime.

Unless anime becomes very much mainstreamed on American tv - and I doubt that will ever happen - shutting down the fansubbers would effectively destroy the American market for anime.

Songs for the flash frozen.
MidNightBlue
Fayeless Otaku

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. I do the exact same thing. Fansubs let me know what I want to buy and if I had to purchase it, I'd just stop watching.
Hungry Mongoose
Space Cowboy
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that paying to preview anime would be awful. The whole point of previewing is to avoid you having to spend money you don't want to waste. I'm largely in favour of being able to pay to download anime because the support for anime here is rather weak. I'd probably buy more anime and use fansubs less if I didn't have to wait as long and go through as much trouble to get it.

Though I've found I tend to be a pretty good judge of whether I'd like something or not from fairly little information.

Technically fansubs are a form of piracy, it's just that it also helps the anime industry in various cases, like with Grin.
jjjynx

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll buy it if it's worth rewatching over and over. But up till now I've only bought 6 anime series, and I do watch them over and over. I can't say that fansub is a preview for me, for if it was I'd just watch the first episode...and then decide if I want the rest. So for fansubs, I'd say I'm getting them because it's generally easier to obtain, higher in quality sometimes and much more accurate in translations when done right.

I am not yet prepared to willingly pay for downloaded anime simply because I'm a poor soldier, and will continue to be for the next one year, and my spendings on Mangas alone are drilling a big hole in my pocket. But if anime really came that simple, I'd obtain it at a reasonable cost, cause really paying 69 bucks for 2 DVDs can kill me, I buy 6-8 mangas with that money...and I've not yet misjudged any anime, nor have I anticipated an anime release from mangas incorrectly...I've done well as an Otaku over the years, and thus will continue to be one.

So I'd rather not have these fansubbing groups shut anytime, it might have little effect on the amount of anime I watch, because I can still go for raws, but it'll defenitely won't be as fun to mention anime anywhere else since I know alot of people who wouldn't take their time to learn Japanese just for anime alone. I don't blame them, or anyone, in that matter since it's not worth the time for some, and anime might just be a past time or something to enjoy when free, but with less people to talk about in anime, I'm definitely going to feel empty.

Bottomline...You Won't Like Me When I'm Emty.
MidNightBlue
Fayeless Otaku

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I generally don't buy something until I've seen the entire thing first and know for a certainty that I'll watch it over and over. That way I know exactly what I'm buying.
GrinfilledCelt

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hungry Hungry Mongoose wrote:
I'd probably buy more anime and use fansubs less if ...
Of course you would. Do you really think that if they started selling downloads online that they would allow fansubs to continue?

Though I've found I tend to be a pretty good judge of whether I'd like something or not from fairly little information.
Oh? How many videos have you bought that you thought were real good when you bought them and have only watched once?

Technically fansubs are a form of piracy, it's just that it also helps the anime industry in various cases, like with Grin.
I think that I am a far cry from a unique type of consumer. Yes, fansubs are technically piracy, but I think that they do the industry far more good than harm. The list of anime shows I have seen is fairly long. The list of anime I have watched more than once, even partially, is much shorter. The list of anime shows I have purchased is shorter still. Without the fansubs my anime library would consist of one copy of Cowboy Bebop (instead of two) and maybe a copy of Akira. That would be it. Instead I would have a lot more Hollywood movies and American tv. I'm saying that that would be true for most of you. You wouldn't be running out to spend money on something that you know nothing, or next to nothing, about. Yes, there are other way to get info on anime but most people aren't much into research.

My point is that I only have so many entertainment dollars to spend. It's not like I'd be forced to spend more on anime if I wasn't getting it for free. It's a blood from a stone situation - there isn't any more money. Without the fansubs, the money I do have would just end up going elsewhere.

Personally, I don't see any difference, but from the industry's point of view, the difference between tv and fansubs is that they don't get any cash out of fansubs. Maybe if the fansubbers were to model themselves more like tv, they could make the industry happy with them again. Start taking in advertising (*groan!*) and pay for the rights to distribute. Of course the greedy bastards will start in with all the usual whining and lies about file sharing. They really ought to be thinking of it as free advertising helping them to compete for my entertainment dollars. I wasn't even listening to music anymore, let alone buying any, when I first started downloading it for free. Now I often spend money on legitimate music because I have access to stuff other than the crap they play on the radio. It works the same way with anime too. If I had to get by with what was on tv, I wouldn't be much interested in anime.

Sergent jjjynx wrote:
I'll buy it if it's worth rewatching over and over. But up till now I've only bought 6 anime series, and I do watch them over and over. I can't say that fansub is a preview for me, for if it was I'd just watch the first episode...and then decide if I want the rest. So for fansubs, I'd say I'm getting them because it's generally easier to obtain, higher in quality sometimes and much more accurate in translations when done right.
If you could have afforded to, you probably would have bought more. Right? You can't always rely on getting an accurate idea of a series from the first episode. I can think of plenty where they purposely mislead you in the first episode (The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya) or ones that start slow or seem like an overdone plotline and get much better (Kiba). Quality is one good reason to buy anime when you can. Support for the industry is another. I have a slowly growing pile of dvds I have purchased that are waiting for me to get around to watching them. Too many fansubs to watch. It's like I am hoarding them against the day when I can no longer afford an internet connection.

Sergent jjjynx wrote:
I am not yet prepared to willingly pay for downloaded anime simply because I'm a poor soldier...
You mean unable not unwilling. If you were rolling in dough you'd hire someone else to download them for you or more likely just buy the dvds. Then you'd wag your finger at the rest of us and tell us that we shouldn't "steal" anime. ...Well, not you...

Sergent jjjynx wrote:
But if anime really came that simple, I'd obtain it at a reasonable cost, cause really paying 69 bucks for 2 DVDs can kill me...
But it won't and never will. If they shut down the fansubs and start selling downloads it will be much like buying music online is now. It won't be much cheaper not just because the bastards are greedy but because the brick & mortar retailers will complain that they can't compete (true). Plus your downloads will be loaded with copy protection BS so they will only play on your machine (if your lucky) and if you replace your computer, you will have to buy them all over again.

BTW: jjjynx posting during the week? Was someone dumb enough to assign you a job on a computer with internet access?

MidNightBlue
Fayeless Otaku

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look, a bunny!

Hungry Mongoose
Space Cowboy
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I could legally download bunnies, I'd buy them a lot more.
LostInWonderland
Otaku
Otaku

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see your adorable bunny and raise you one.

"A watcher scoffs at gravity."
jjjynx

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GrinfilledCelt wrote:

BTW: jjjynx posting during the week? Was someone dumb enough to assign you a job on a computer with internet access?

No, but I'm currently on a computer in my companie's office with internet access.

And you're right, I'll buy it if i had the cash...as for it ever being downloadable online...I have my doubts, simply because in the coming years things online will slowly but surely change, it might be past our generation when everything gets affliated online...and being able to share one's copy of liscensed data might prove alot simpler. I see the need to shrink borders, and doing everything online just might be the trick, for even Brick and Motar can be moved online, they just need to go 3D.

I'm probably thinking too far ahead with for my idea had always been to put the world online, and I mean theWorld, seen physically, online. I'm hoping the upcoming gadgets that promotes using holograms and touchscreens and such will slowly lead us to that sort of world...it still seems silly, but once I'm out of army I'm gonna do something about this idea. It'd probably turn out into a game, and I'm already wondering if such a world is good for human health if everyone just has to sit at home to communicate with anyone anywhere in the world...it has alot of other shortcomings, but I still think it's nice.

Blueh, I'm speaking too much of might thoughts out, it's probably getting boring and straying off topic....I'm still due for dragging out stores tomorrow morning, so, cya guys.
MidNightBlue
Fayeless Otaku

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LostInWonderland wrote:

I fold.

jjjynx wrote:
I'm probably thinking too far ahead with for my idea had always been to put the world online, and I mean theWorld, seen physically, online. I'm hoping the upcoming gadgets that promotes using holograms and touchscreens and such will slowly lead us to that sort of world...it still seems silly, but once I'm out of army I'm gonna do something about this idea. It'd probably turn out into a game, and I'm already wondering if such a world is good for human health if everyone just has to sit at home to communicate with anyone anywhere in the world...it has alot of other shortcomings, but I still think it's nice.

I think it's nice because then you can meet people that you otherwise would not have due to regional limitations. I'd be limited to meeting the people who I can see in person.
GrinfilledCelt

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MidNightBlue wrote:
LostInWonderland wrote:

I fold.
I hope that you were all in, too.

MidNightBlue wrote:
jjjynx wrote:

I think it's nice because then you can meet people that you otherwise would not have due to regional limitations. I'd be limited to meeting the people who I can see in person.
You also usually get to know the real person - or at least some version of them - before you see them and all your prejudices kick in. It helps teach the world how useless their prejudices are.

MidNightBlue
Fayeless Otaku

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you know they're not making stuff up? It's so easy to lie online, there's no way to verify information.
GrinfilledCelt

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's why I qualified "some version of them". It usually isn't hard to spot someone that is full of shirt anyway like Ted the Twinkie or Bill Clinton.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Cowboy Bebop Front Forum Index -> The Cowboy Bebop Front All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: