Picture Book
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 52, 53, 54  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Cowboy Bebop Front Forum Index -> The Cowboy Bebop Front
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jjjynx
Jeet Kun Do Kung Fu Master

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't get me wrong there...I like your sketches, and I know gesture drawing...but I'm not feeling much from that drawing itself especially colouring started....I don't know....perhaps it's because you're tired....

Dang you go work your stuff man, I shouldn't comment too much. I'm not as diverse in arts as you...and lack alot of practice these days. But really, bottom line is, let's all enjoy ourselves! Blue_PDT_01_01
Dread_Knight^Samurai
Space Cowboy
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^; I guess I'm just thick when it comes to puns.

HAhAHa...you got that right. I don't know what to do at first and then rather than thinking to much about it, I went with the flow.

You know Grin, I found out that I can grasp the details of an object much better when it's there in front of you rather than on a printed paper etc plus something about training the eyes to see more clearly. Something I learned from my lecturer....tho it's a bit troublesome but....it's the truth. No wonder they insist on us drawing things from life.

>Blue_PDT_01_01 I won't mind hearing critiques and that's how you feel when you see the drawing tho it'll be helpful if you could explain it a bit more so I could better understand where I am lacking. I know that the drawing is still lacking but I just don't know where....:\
GrinfilledCelt

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dread_Knight^Samurai wrote:
^^; I guess I'm just thick when it comes to puns.
It probably has more to do with my lousy jokes. Don't worry about it.

HAhAHa...you got that right. I don't know what to do at first and then rather than thinking to much about it, I went with the flow.

You know Grin, I found out that I can grasp the details of an object much better when it's there in front of you rather than on a printed paper etc plus something about training the eyes to see more clearly. Something I learned from my lecturer....tho it's a bit troublesome but....it's the truth. No wonder they insist on us drawing things from life.
I understand that and figured that you would say something like that. You're probably right. Couldn't you use both? Use the picture for just the expression and the mirror for the form? Probably not, the same thing would still apply.

>Blue_PDT_01_01 I won't mind hearing critiques and that's how you feel when you see the drawing tho it'll be helpful if you could explain it a bit more so I could better understand where I am lacking. I know that the drawing is still lacking but I just don't know where....:\
Well, first off, I want to say that I have no formal training in the arts - just in case that wasn't painfully obvious already. For instance, I had to look up 'gesture drawing'. One thing you must already know is that an artist is in the business of communicating something. If your audience doesn't get what you are trying to convey it isn't because they don't have enough training or understanding.

So you're saying that neither one is intended to be the finished work - that they are both preliminary? That's different. I was commenting on them as works in their own right. The one I have been calling the 'sketch' which you posted on the 28th, I find more interesting than the one you posted on the 29th which I have been calling the 'drawing', for two reasons. One, the viewpoint from slightly above is more interesting than being right square in front of it in the other. Two, it said a lot more with fewer strokes - it's simpler. The second one is a bit confusing. I spent a moment puzzling over the odd position, perspective and extra elbow of the left arm until I realized that it was a coat hanger in the background. Other parts of the skeleton get confused with the chair it's in.

Underneath the chair is where I was talking about where you didn't seem to know what you wanted to do. It looks like you couldn't decide which color to use and it ended up looking muddy. Also I don't under stand what those white lines skewering the pelvis and right foot are.

I think that you could benefit from some application of the KISS principle. There are too many unnecessary strokes. Maybe spending some time studying and practicing Japanese watercolor would help. I think that you already know this too. You said, "I went with the flow." Do that, and when you don't know what to do, stop.

These are all secondary observations after my initial and overall positive reactions to the pictures. I really do like both of them and would love to have either.

Songs for the flash frozen.
Dread_Knight^Samurai
Space Cowboy
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AhahAha...Correct, had some trouble with what color to apply underneath the chair. ^^; So....well....I ended throwing everything I had on the pallete to the paper.

Japanese watercolor...aahhhh.....that's the only media that I dislike to use. But if I had to use it....I'll use it. I had this watercolor set and I haven't used it till.....recently....few weeks back. Bought it mid last year or was it earlier than that.

Anyway this KISS principle...haven't heard of it before so I looked it up on the net and wow. This might help me do my work a bit faster since I....well....do things so....slow.

Thanks for the crits and revealing to me the KISS principle....I'm beginning to wonder....why didn't my lecturer tell me about this Blue_PDT_01_49?
GrinfilledCelt

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This might help too. I recently read an editor's piece in a woodworker's magazine. The guy was talking about how woodworkers are such perfectionists. He said that he had recently gone to a gathering of woodworkers where he saw the most amazing piece of furniture he had ever laid eyes on. He marveled at the design and the workmanship that went into it. We had to find the guy who had made it and congratulate him on being a great woodworker.

When he found the guy and told him how great his furniture was the guy said, "Come on". He took him over to the great piece of furniture in question, pulled out a drawer and said, "Look at this. I cut all these dovetails on the wrong side of the line." The result was very loose joints. The guy had been forced to spend many hours cutting thin strips of wood and fitting them into the joints to fill the gaps and had done a marvelous job of doing that too.

You see? The guy thought that his furniture was a failure because a small detail that no one - even another woodworker - would ever notice. The first guy was overwhelmed by it's overall awesomeness and it's creator was unimpressed because a small detail wasn't perfect.

GrinfilledCelt

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I understand it, Japanese watercolor is more of a technique than a medium. In Japanese watercolor, you draw each line only once and live with what you get. You never try to add to or go over a line already drawn. It teaches you the discipline of simplicity and never to pick up the brush until you know exactly what you are going to do with it. You should find someone who really understands it to teach you.

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_GQ2zRmRQU28/RyN1p9SHjcI/AAAAAAAAAKY/EeatkdL6RKI/DSC_0866.JPG

jjjynx

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never did well in Calligraphy, much worst in Water Colors. I'm now laughing cause I just remembered how badly I smudged frogs back in secondary school.

And I took an even longer look at that drawing of yours...and I say....Dread either I'm wrong, or that's a skeleton holding a sword.

Tell me I'm right, and I say your impression on elbow joints is...well..can I say it's too triangular? No that's not it, I can't put into words exactly. Either that or it's that extra white line that made it triangular that's weird.

Coloring on the top seems okay, since I doubt you want to redo it anyways. because I'm quite sure you know yellow doesn't goes with yellow to make things opaque. But I'm sweating the details as it's gesture drawing.

We all know what happened now to coloring at the bottom...my question is currently is coloring an important factor in this little competition of yours?

I really don't know if I've the rights to criticize your work. If I was to answer myself I'd say no, only because I have low self esteem in design itself. After many past failures. But I hope you won't take offense though. I'm contradicting myself right now, and often saying things critically without rank.

Sorry in advance if I made you sad or said anything wrong. Do correct me when you feel free.
Dread_Knight^Samurai
Space Cowboy
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blue_PDT_01_01 Unfortunately jjjynx....no. I forgot to place more strokes in order to emphasize the elbow joint....but it seems fine to me. And it's kinda hard to bring out the details with gesture drawing technique tho some artists that I referred managed to do it.

Coloring ain't a major factor when I initiated this drawing but with color it will bring out...uhh....certain feelings to the observer. Anyway, the main factor is that the drawing shows movement, actions, and lots of aggressive strokes eg....swing your hand like mad with a brush, or maybe use your hand as the brush and start smudging the entire canvas or maybe your own hair...the possibilities are quite....endless. I think I'll show you the hi res version when it's done since this one is quite small. ( Yes it's almost as tall as me....I can't possibly be swinging my brush like a lunatic with a small canvas or paper )

No worries...non taken. My lecturer gave a hellish critique to me that it dwarfs yours and Grin combine together and it made me feel....mmmm....I dunno....it made me angry towards myself.

And as for the watercolor technique.....yeah, it's pretty much like Inoue Takehiko's Vagabond. I previewed his watercolor book ( the one that sells for.....well.....quite a lot ) and I was awed. It's simple because he managed to grasp the form easily with a single stroke of a brush. And btw the technique is more commonly called as contour drawing.

And I just turned this supposed to be Picture Book thread into Art Critiques and Discussion. >___>
LostInWonderland
Otaku
Otaku

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sumi ink paintings are the most difficult and obnoxious things to do. I didn't look at the link, but I think that's what you're talking about. It's especially hard with rice paper, because one drop of water soaks the entire thing. Ugh.

"A watcher scoffs at gravity."
GrinfilledCelt

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hee hee! "Smudged frogs." Blue_PDT_01_05

PS - Check your email, jjjynx.

jjjynx

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If by chance I'm referring to the same e-mail you sent, the answer is, yes that's the Song Blue_PDT_01_04

Ponyo by the Cliff
GrinfilledCelt

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After I posted the above, I was listening to the first track on the cd (Shinkai Bokujyou) and wondered if it was the one that opens the film, so I started my lousy copy of the film (the one with the subs running 30 seconds behind the audio) to see and ended up watching the whole thing again. I can't wait until I get my hands on a decent copy of that thing.

btw, that is the opening song.

Lost, when are you going to post those linos? I'd like to see them even if you don't think they're very good or if you don't think we're good enough to see them. =0)

Yes, Dread, I'd very much like to see the finished version whenever you get it done. =0)

jjjynx

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The past two days was heaven`and hell...I spent the entire time working on finally putting together my FA ZZ 0-10-S Master Grade 1/100 Gundam model kit which I bought for a steal from Taiwan Last year April.

Yea, it took me a year to finally have the heart to take it out from under my bed and instill the discipline to put it together.

I'm glad I did...but now I CAN'T FIND ANY CAMERA!

Man it looks so cool in my eyes...I don't know why my house have absolutely no cameras...usually all homes have one...don't they? But yea...nevermind, this saturday I've got friend over, I'll get him to help me take a picture using his phone.

My hand still hurts from pressng, rubbing and clipping out the parts and putting them together. But now I'm looking at it still I think it's worth it.

A fun fact here: NEVER EVER put your toys under your bed for too long! Especially Model Parts! I found 2 dead spiders and a very nice clumped web within the parts....it wasn't a really nice experience cleaning those.
GrinfilledCelt

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are incredible models - very pricey with a billion parts and amazing detail. It makes me think of that scene from Genshiken when that girl breaks one. =0)

jjjynx

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Newest Toy.

Well it wasn't exactly Pricey, I got it for a steal at around 58 SGD in Taiwan, and now it's selling online at 78 USD. That's quite normal for models that size.

It's the Perfect Grades (PG) 1/60 scale models that're pricey, those cost around 200-300+ SGD over here.

And yes it'll break your heart like Ohno's if you break a part. I already half-broke 3 small tiny parts while building it, I almost had an hard attack when I heard them snap each time. Luckily it was really small stuffs and abit of superglue or abit of placing together the puzzle will make them stick in like normal.

I just wished I actually used a real camera instead of a camera phone. It's not the best of place to take a picture (My Room) But yea here we have it.[img][/img]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Cowboy Bebop Front Forum Index -> The Cowboy Bebop Front All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 52, 53, 54  Next
Page 53 of 54

Jump to: