Animated News
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Cowboy Bebop Front Forum Index -> The Cowboy Bebop Front
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GrinfilledCelt
Jeet Kun Do Kung Fu Master

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 4:41 pm    Post subject: Animated News Reply with quote

I figure that we need a thread for news items and other animation related stuff like this:

Quote:
Animax Pitches Yakitate!! Japan in Singapore with Bread
posted on 2007-11-20 12:45 EST
Anime tie-in bread sold in Singapore's BreadTalk stores

As part of the promotion for Animax's Southeast Asian English television premiere of the Yakitate!! Japan breadmaking anime series on November 28, Singapore's BreadTalk store chain is offering Yakitate!! Japan buns during November. The anime is based on Takashi Hashiguchi's original Weekly Shonen Sunday manga, which famously depicts bread-making in the style of shōnen fighting tournament manga...

Songs for the flash frozen.
jjjynx

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kill me, but I'll go get one of these tomorrow.

And I'll have you guys know Animax has no choice of Dubs here, it's all in English, most of it, which is why I don't get any ^^
GrinfilledCelt

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure that you don't hurt yourself with your reaction to the bread. =0D

Their dubs are all in English here too.

GrinfilledCelt

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is why I download more anime than I can watch*:
[url]http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2007-11-24/gdh-int'l-head-condemns-illegal-anime-distribution[/url]**
When the shoe drops, I'll have a supply of new (to me) anime to watch.

On a related note:
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/editorial/2007-11-25
It's obvious that change is coming. What form it will take is still up in the air.

*Other than that I can.
**The link is messed up due to ANN's annoying habit of putting apostrophes in their url's. Just copy & paste it.

Hungry Mongoose
Space Cowboy
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The editorial in the second link was very interesting, intelligent and well-written. From what I know of the world, this means there is a good chance that it will be ignored by anyone it matters to. But they'll have to adapt eventually, or die.
GrinfilledCelt

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right. If no one is making any money they will eventually have to go out and get "real jobs" and the industry will all but collapse. There are indications that they will go the RIAA route and become major assholes trying to shut down all fansubbing. They don't seem to realize that without fansubbing there is no international market. If I had to get by with the anime that is on tv here I would soon lose interest in anime all together.

MidNightBlue
Fayeless Otaku

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GrinfilledCelt wrote:
This is why I download more anime than I can watch*:
[url]http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2007-11-24/gdh-int'l-head-condemns-illegal-anime-distribution[/url]**
When the shoe drops, I'll have a supply of new (to me) anime to watch.

On a related note:
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/editorial/2007-11-25
It's obvious that change is coming. What form it will take is still up in the air.

*Other than that I can.
**The link is messed up due to ANN's annoying habit of putting apostrophes in their url's. Just copy & paste it.

My thoughts may be muddled because I am hungry and sleepy.

Erm, I can only speak for myself, but generally I browse anime via online venues and if I happen to fall in love with a series my first initiative is to look for the DVD and I will try to buy it. The other issue is with the wait time, if I'm in love with it enough ... I will wait ... *still waiting for the rest of Romeo x Juliet*

"According to the interview, because of the decrease in DVD sales caused by fansubs, G.D.H. has had to lower production budgets for a number of its current series and limit staff salary increases." They are making quite a statement here, can they be sure that the fansubs are causing the decrease in DVD sales? I would like to see some research done on this before I would believe any claims.

But again, I can only speak from my own perspective. If I don't buy a DVD it's either because it is unavailable in the United States or because the product does not appeal to me. So if I were the only customer in the world of anime, then the DVD sales would be a direct reflection of my anime interests.

I do exactly the same thing with books. I first read them in the libraries or borrow from someone else and if I'm in love with it and know for a certainty that I will read it for the rest of my life, then I will buy it. So again, if I were the only person buying books, the book sales would be a direct reflection of my reading interests.

But I do not constitute the entire world. These articles assume there exists a population of people who, if given the choice of a more expensive way of getting something versus a less expensive way of getting the same thing, will always choose the less expensive way. As to what to do about these people ... I don't know.

Actually, I think the category mentioned in the above paragraph should be divided into two scenerios. One is to buy something for cheaper and the other is to get something for no money at all. When I am shopping for DVDs I will most likely compare prices and buy from the vendor who will give it to me for the lowest price (I don't have money to burn). However if I were offered the choice of getting the DVD for free, I would not take it. Part of the reason I buy it is because I want to financially support the stuff I love.

But this is not the case we are discussing, the case we are discussing is expensive DVD versus free downloads. These two are not exactly the same thing. If I love an anime series enough I would want both and I would probably be willing to pay for both, because I want as many versions of a translation as possible.

(Hmm, I didn't mean to make it so long but I was developing my thoughts as I was writing so I wasn't sure where this was going to go.) It seems like an idea has finally hit me. I think the fansubbers themselves should charge for their product. I haven't quite hashed out when, how and to whom the money should go, but I think it could be a viable idea. At the moment I'm thinking maybe stop releasing it for free as soon as the last episode is aired or when it becomes licensed in the United States. Wait no ...

But I like the idea of being able to see it online but maybe not download it for keeps. Hmm, this seems to hit on the idea that the first article was talking about, viewing versus owning. That's the same as the borrowing books from the library, I can read the book but I don't get to keep it. So maybe what we need is an anime library?
GrinfilledCelt

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The guilt trip won't work on me. I don't feel guilty because I don't run out and buy the dvd season sets for every tv show that I watch, so I'm not going to feel guilty for not buying every anime that I download. I buy the ones I really like as I can afford them so I can watch them again whenever the mood hits me. Fansubs fill the same function for anime that tv does for Hollywood. Granted it isn't quite the same for the producers of anime since there is no money in it for them directly. They do benefit from the fansubs, however. I don't believe that there would be a market for anime outside of Japan without the fansubs. Who would know, who would ever see any, who would be talking about it if the only way to see any was to shell out $30? Outside of Japan, there isn't an overabundance of anime fans now, but there would be an awful lot less of them watching and buying an awful lot less anime without fansubs.

The industry isn't doing itself any favors either. Here's a prime example: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=6769 Freedom OVA. This is an awesome show that I have talked about here before. I'm very geeked about it because I have seen the four episodes that were fansubbed before it was licsensed. You can buy most of it right now from Bandai Visual USA, but lets look at what they're selling: https://www.dot-anime.us/mall/shop/dvd?EcLogicName=catalog.detail&item_no=BUHH0119

After carefully looking that ad over, I have two questions. One, are there any episodes of the actual show on that dvd, and two, since when have advertisements been considered "bonus features"? As near as I can tell, they're selling a video commercial for the next volume and some software that will allow you to download a picture, all for only $36 (plus S&H of course). Such a deal! There are going to be six volumes in this dvd series and ANN says that there are only six episodes in the series, so my guess is that each volume has only one twenty-four minute episode. No wonder they're downplaying the episode count in their ads and no wonder the industry is struggling.

I wouldn't even know about this show if it weren't for the fansubs, let alone know how good it is, but somehow it's all the fault of the fansubs that people aren't lining up to get ripped off.

The real problem here is that too many people, including some fansubbers themselves, are no longer adhering to the subbers code: 1. Don't sub or distribute shows that are licensed, 2. Buy the shows you like when they become available to you. This needs to be enforced by the fans themselves to protect the golden goose that benefits us all so much.

Anime Otaku Chik

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grin, that would be a great reply to send in as a response to the article. You have many valid points, and I agree. If it weren't for fansubs, there wouldn't be a following. People were excited to watch shows like Fullmetal Alchemist and The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya because of where they saw it first. And I think Bandai is a bad example, because they're completely overpriced and it's why no one really buys their products. ADV and Funimation are a bit better about their prices though...usually. It's hard for me to completely agree though, because reading that article, I am one of those people who would take the free product. However, I feel the same way as nodes. We need a library. If I like something enough then I'll buy it. (Like my manga collection, oh god. I'm about to move onto my third shelf... Wheras my anime collection is much smaller. Much smaller...) Actually, that makes me think. The only reason I have manga versus anime is because the manga are only roughly $10 a pop; one volume can be up to 3 episodes of an anime, which would get sold for 3 times that.

Ugh. And looking at the VHS stuff I own, reminded me... VHS was much cheaper. The price has gone up since DVDs appeared and "bonus" features were added, etc. Quality has gone up too... Bleh, I guess there's really no comparing the two because there are things to consider...

HEllo, hello. :3

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There were some interesting items in ANN's News lately.

Dubbed Songs FROM HELL!!! No wonder anime took so long to catch on in the states. http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/buried-treasure/2007-12-27

Today is the last day that you can see the English dub of the first episode of Kannon for free. http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/releases.php?id=10391

Domo-kun is coming to Nickelodeon.
http://www.icv2.com/articles/home/11835.html

Anime Otaku Chik

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeesss!! Domo-kun!! Blue_PDT_01_01

I had watched the video on the dubs already, just a little bit ago. xD

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anime Otaku Chik wrote:
Yeesss!! Domo-kun!! Blue_PDT_01_01

I had watched the video on the dubs already, just a little bit ago. xD
Really? Got a link? Other than a few animated gifs, I've never seen any vids of Domo-kun at all.

Anime Otaku Chik

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OH. Not the dubs of Domo, but from those videos. Like, he posted that video and I watched it...

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anime Otaku Chik wrote:
OH. Not the dubs of Domo, but from those videos. Like, he posted that video and I watched it...
Huh? What ever you saw I haven't seen. Was it not online? I suppose I should just check YouTube.

EDIT: Oh yeah, there is a lot of stuff there: http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Domo+Kun&search=Search

GrinfilledCelt

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Third Black Lagoon Anime Project Confirmed
ANN wrote:
The wraparound jacket band on Gen Urobuchi's novel adaptation of Rei Hiroe's Black Lagoon adventure manga has confirmed that a third anime project has been green-lit for production. The story revolves around a typical Japanese businessman who gets caught up in the escapades of modern-day pirate mercenaries off the Asian shores. Geneon Entertainment released part of the Black Lagoon anime in North America, but Funimation has since agreed to take over distribution of the anime. Funimation has confirmed that it will reissue the first anime series and start the DVD release of the Black Lagoon: The Second Barrage series on August 19.
Yippie! Blue_PDT_01_06

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Cowboy Bebop Front Forum Index -> The Cowboy Bebop Front All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9

Jump to: