Where is Everyone!?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 12, 13, 14  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Cowboy Bebop Front Forum Index -> The Cowboy Bebop Front
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Is everyone Busy?
Very very busy...no time at all
50%
 50%  [ 3 ]
Yes, only have time for other stuffs
33%
 33%  [ 2 ]
Not really, just that there's nothing interesting these days
16%
 16%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 6

GrinfilledCelt
Jeet Kun Do Kung Fu Master

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So jjjynx it is and jjjynx it shall remain.

The new job sounds cool and it's even better that you're doing well at it. I'm not sure what you mean by "digital marketing projects". have any pics?

Took a brief look and couldn't find the Kyojin. or Watamote manga. Of the few manga I have read, Gantz keeps surprising me. I keep thinking it is over and I have read it all and then I find it has been continuing. The last time I found that out was a recent ANN article about it's ending in a few more chapters. Gantz is the best sci-fi anything I have seen in a long time.

Songs for the flash frozen.
jjjynx

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weird. I posted a reply in the morning and it didn't get in.

Oh well, anyways the new job's okay. Digital Marketing is basically mobile apps and sites we do for our clients. Just taking some risks and doing my own stuffs. Life's been good so far.

Haven't read Gantz in a long while since the site I used to go stopped updating it.

But for this year I'm looking forward to Stein's Gate movie and Girls und Panzer movie as well.

I now play World of Tanks. It's a madpiss game it's good.
GrinfilledCelt

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jjjynx wrote:
Oh well, anyways the new job's okay. Digital Marketing is basically mobile apps and sites we do for our clients. Just taking some risks and doing my own stuffs. Life's been good so far.

That's good to hear. Are these apps your clients use or do they give them out (or sell them) to their customers?

jjjynx wrote:
Haven't read Gantz in a long while since the site I used to go stopped updating it.

Gantz is up to Chapter 381. There is only a couple left accordion to the manga itself.
http://www.mangareader.net/97-1163-1/gantz/chapter-1.html
I don't know where you left off, but it gets every bit as outrageous as Gurren Lagann (only cooler).

jjjynx wrote:
But for this year I'm looking forward to Stein's Gate movie and Girls und Panzer movie as well.

I now play World of Tanks. It's a madpiss game it's good.

I am also looking forward to SG and GuP. SG started out silly and became really cool. GuP was cool and silly right from the start.
I don't play online games anymore. Days go by and I don't eat, sleep or go to work. I try to avoid pissing when I'm mad. My aim is way off.

jjjynx

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait, what? You don't eat, sleep and go to work.

How are you doing? Gotta take care of your body bro.

It's really getting to me now that I'm older. And we've met online for 10 years already.
MidNightBlue
Fayeless Otaku

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, how is everyone?

I started yet another new job. So far so good. I like the people so I may stay working here for a while.

It's really hot right now so I'm planning to chop my hair off either today or tomorrow.
GrinfilledCelt

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm back! It was kind of a bust Up North. My friend I usually go up with got sick and didn't show. My other friend who lives there got stuck working in NYC so I spent the whole week alone. It was nice but kind of boring so I came back a day early.

jjjynx wrote:
Wait, what? You don't eat, sleep and go to work.

How are you doing? Gotta take care of your body bro.
That's why I don't play those games any more. =0)

jjjynx wrote:
It's really getting to me now that I'm older. And we've met online for 10 years already.
I think it's more like 12 years.

MidNightBlue wrote:
I started yet another new job. So far so good. I like the people so I may stay working here for a while.
Good. It takes a while sometimes to find the right job for yourself.

After a week in Ocqueoc I have to go back to work on Tuesday (grumble). First day back and I have to go to a concert to see Huey Louis and the News. Damn! My job is too hard. Blue_PDT_01_04

jjjynx

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Concert!

Just ran through Danshi koukousei no nichijou over the weekend.

And yes hi guys it's been 12 whole years!!!

And the places I get to explore here in Singapore I can reach in 20 minutes, and I've also ran out of place to explore here. We're sooooo small.

Japan trip during the start of the year was so worth it though. Feels good to travel. I hope I get to fly over to the states in the near future. But work comes first.
GrinfilledCelt

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woah! You went to Japan and didn't post any pictures? Don't you want to get back at me? Where is your sense of revenge? =0D Besides I'd love to see them.

Singapore is small but otoh I wish I could get to know my country as well as you know yours. I keep seeing more films about the place. It seems like Singapore has become quite the trendy destination for travelers all over the world. The food courts there are epic. If you make it to America and anywhere near Michigan let me know. I would enjoy meeting you and showing you around. Maybe even go to Ocqueoc. The same goes for any lurkers hereabouts (nodes).

The concert didn't work out. The ninny had planned to get tickets at the door and it sold out.

MidNightBlue
Fayeless Otaku

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Work sucks up too much of my time, not just time but mind space as well so even after work I feel like I can't concentrate on doing things I want to do. It seems that my pattern is I learn the ropes in the first 3 months then I apply what I learned to every possible scenario for the next 3 months and then after that it's all just a repeat of what I did before and I'm bored at the half year mark and thinking about moving on to a new job.

The nice aspects of my current job are my coworkers. I really like these people and I'm realizing what a huge difference it makes to have high quality coworkers (I worked with a bunch of insecure back stabbers at my last job). Also I respect my boss and my boss respects me, so he senses that I am getting bored and is putting me on high profile project assignments and does not micromanage me, even so I'm still thinking of transferring out. Two jobs ago I had a really bad boss whom I did not respect as a human being. He was chauvinistic and had very little knowledge of the field yet he would speak with such conviction that even learned people would just sometimes take him at his word plus he was, in my opinion, unethical.

Am I just being unrealistic in my expectations? Maybe wanting a job with good coworkers, a good boss, and work that never gets boring is just a pipe dream? Or maybe the solution is to just continuously job hop when I get bored? At some point this is going to backfire because the potential employer will look at my unstable job history and wonder why I can't stick with one job for very long.

Or maybe I'm just in the wrong field. Industry after all was built on the premise of the line worker where each person does the same thing over and over again. Perhaps I am better suited for academia? Where the emphasis is on continuous discovery. The downside there is the low pay. I am hesitant to even mention going into the arts because of its fickle nature. After all the reason I went into industry in the first place is for a stable paycheck, I still need to pay rent. I keep telling myself I should just suck it up and be happy with what I have but I can't. I think I am starting to slide into a depression.
GrinfilledCelt

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe we have spoken about this before. There are basically two ways you can go. The first is to find a field/job that you love - a job you enjoy so much that you can't believe they pay you to do it. This is where a lot of workaholics come from. They get so much fulfillment out of their jobs that they really don't want to do much of anything else. Such jobs and people are relatively rare. Don't bet on finding such a position.

Which brings us to the other option. Most people hate their jobs. It's something they endure because they have to. What makes it tolerable is something outside of the job that makes it worthwhile. It can be a goal they work toward. Family and home ownership is a common one. It could just be a leisure activity that working allows them to afford like collecting anime, cooking, travel or pickling one's liver (that last one doesn't work very well.) Basically, just get some joy into your life. It's what makes life worth living.

Since you like this current job and they seem to like you, it might be time to bite the bullet. Find yourself something to look forward to to get you through the boredom.

Up every mornin' just to keep a job
I gotta fight my way through the bustlin' mob
Sounds of the city poundin' in my brain
While another day goes down the drain

But it's a five o'clock world when the whistle blows
No one owns a piece of my time
And there's a five o'clock me inside my clothes
Thinkin' that the world looks fine, yeah
Holiday, yeah

Tradin' my time for the pay I get
Livin' on money that I ain't made yet
Gotta keep goin', gotta make my way
But I live for the end of the day

swollenlymphnodes
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi MNB, long time no see... read.

Sounds like you have a lot of the right conditions... just that the work isn't right for you. It took me awhile before I found the career I always wanted. I was in similar fields, but I was always pining for the job I enjoy now. Like you, I needed the type of mental stimulation to keep me interested... not bored. But that's only one factor.

Workmates
Boss
Commute
Benefits
Pay
Management style

... are all things you have to juggle

I think it appeared like I was job hopping, but when I interviewed with my current boss, it was the job I always wanted, and I think who could sense my enthusiasm for the job, and it so happened our goals aligned. He had invested a lot in a previous young engineer who he coached in youth soccer, who jumped ship 3 years later to a competitor. I know it left a bad taste in his mouth... it felt like I had to earn my bosses trust because of him. When he asked me in my interview my goals, I told him, this is exactly what I want to do, maybe some day be partner, or start my own company. I think the fact that he could see I was in it for the long haul made him choose me over the other applicants.

Anyway, I enjoy my work, but it's still a means to an end... to live the life I want to live. I don't make as much as I would like, but that will come in time. I'm not micromanged. Have workmates that keep it pretty professional and cordial. Boss values and appreciates me. The work has cyles of being challenging and hair pulling hectic to slow and boring... but never too much of either. It's a good balance. It's the type of work that looks good on a resume. There's a ton of great places to eat. It's a small company, and I'm the youngest engineer, so it's very likely someday I may be running this company.

To this day, I still have Monster sending me job openings. I think that's a good thing to do, to keep your eye open. It allowed me to find my current job while I was at my previous one (in the field, but not the right position). Nowadays, I look at it, and it makes me appreciate my current job. You just have to 'carpe diem' when the time is right. My field is totally that way. All the companies are set, until they lose one of their guys, which they have to then put an ad out to find a replacement. Just be prepared to jump on any opportunity.

Also... leave your current company in the best possible terms you can. Well at least the good companies. My previous boss could not justify me as an engineer, but he hated losing me cause I was a good worker. To this day he jokes about stealing me back. I know I have a place to go, if for some insane reason I have to leave my current company.
MidNightBlue
Fayeless Otaku

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you both Grin and 'nodes for your responses. I do need to make better use of my spare time. I am currently drawing up a one month plan to start honing my work skills for the type of work I would like to do, whether or not that job will be ready when I am is another matter. I think part of the issue is I not 100% sure what it is that I want (in the long run). I recently applied for an internal transfer and was rejected, I wish I could get an actual reason why I was rejected so I can figure out how I can improve my chances next time. I am working on an unofficial project on the side that I like. I brought the project home this weekend because I just wasn't getting enough spare time during the week to work on it. The guy heading the project is in the department that I want to transfer to, so maybe there is still a chance if I can leverage this connection. I am also trying to get signed up for the internal trainings that the companies offer but I tend to get passed over for more senior people, that reminds me I need to follow up with my boss about that since he said the next time training is offered he'll try to sign me up.

I am also thinking about going back to school. I actually enjoyed school quite bit, it was certainly never boring but it was expensive.

I'm glad to know that it is possible to find the right fitting job, so I guess I need to just keep looking and in the mean time make the best use of my time.

Happy Chinese New Year!
GrinfilledCelt

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you have things pretty much under control. Seems like you just needed a pep talk more than advice. The question is, what do you do for fun? I didn't see that in there. What do you look forward to?

MidNightBlue
Fayeless Otaku

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dance. The winter weather here is interfering though with a lot of my usual activities. I'm reaching a plateau because I cannot seem to increase my upper body strength to do some of the moves. I'm also at the point where it is becoming harder and harder to find a teacher. A lot of dance studios have been shutting down. The ones that are open either caters to children or to beginner adults. Finding continuing dance education for intermediate adults is difficult.

I've been talking to some people in other departments and it sounds like the company is moving towards outsourcing to India. I may have to jump ship sooner than I think. It's interesting because I'm near the end of reading Grapes of Wrath which talks about wages dropping and jobs going to those who are willing to work more for less.
swollenlymphnodes
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woah high school reading. haha

I can very much relate to the talent ceiling/limitation. For me it's music, which is pretty good for a parallel. I'm very limited technically. Well... my fingers aren't fast, and when I try, I lose all legato, smoothness (think fluency). So I will never be a great pianist or guitarist, which are my main instruments. I'm still happy though, cause there are work around's... and creativity, isn't just about being different, it's about find new ways to accomplish things that you personally aren't able to do because of your own limitations.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Cowboy Bebop Front Forum Index -> The Cowboy Bebop Front All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 13 of 14

Jump to: