Welcome
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 30, 31, 32  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Cowboy Bebop Front Forum Index -> The Cowboy Bebop Front
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GrinfilledCelt
Jeet Kun Do Kung Fu Master

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope. No professional photography for me. Under good conditions I can get good pictures. Not so good conditions, not so good pictures. That's the difference between an amateur and a pro. I just don't know much about this very technical subject.

I never knew you were into dance, MNB. Why is this?

Songs for the flash frozen.

Last edited by GrinfilledCelt on Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:10 am; edited 1 time in total
swollenlymphnodes
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: paid for your passions Reply with quote

maurasayshi wrote:
Being "paid for your passions" nearly 'sounds' wrong..

Nevertheless, I just wanted to comment on that notion:

I abandoned the idea of medical school my senior year of high school to peruse graphic design and advertising, thinking that my natural talents would fuel me through anything, and I found that that the more I studied it, the further away I felt from it all. It's tough not to take things personally when there is passion involved. You want to be the best. Maybe that's when you learn more about yourself and whether or not you should just call it quits or man-up.

Either way, I'm glad Grin hasn't gone for professional photography - you haven't, right Grin? I worked in pre-press for awhile, and most were just jaded photographers. Life can be a trip.

Did you graduate already maura? Career in the field? I almost went your path of chasing a passion, and my guidance counselor freaked out. She always thought i was going into architecture... when the day before my graduation, I told her I was going to enter the universities school of music. She practically had a heart attack. Ironically, I'm sort of glad that I didn't get into architecture... since it's a lot closer to arts... and i can see being closer to a passion, that doesn't pay as much, but you have to work longer and stranger hours... when your clients and budget handcuff you, there's none of the free expression you dreamed of having. You study all this crazy architecture by Frank Lloyd Wright, I.M. Pei and Gaudi.. and then you get in the business and you have to do a boring white box retail space. Whoopie. At least starting out with Architecture/Drafting let me transition into engineering.

Grin, I think Dread could attest that in photography it's a matter of adapting to the conditions. Having an SLR helps because you have more control over things like aperture, ISO and shutter speed. Flash is another problem solver. P&S are getting really good though, but the really good one's can be more expensive than an entry level DSLR. At that point I'd opt for my DSLR since you can learn and practice what the settings do.

It is very rewarding though, when you finally get a feel for what everything does, and when you put into applications the basic principles and get results that overcome the 'bad conditions.'
GrinfilledCelt

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then we're back to turning an enjoyable hobby into a job.

swollenlymphnodes
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To each his own I suppose.
GrinfilledCelt

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got up this morning to find that the electric power had been turned off. No heat, no hot water, no lights, no TV, no computer. Nothing.

Sucks.

Dread_Knight^Samurai
Space Cowboy
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grin, I think Dread could attest that in photography it's a matter of adapting to the conditions. Having an SLR helps because you have more control over things like aperture, ISO and shutter speed. Flash is another problem solver. P&S are getting really good though, but the really good one's can be more expensive than an entry level DSLR. At that point I'd opt for my DSLR since you can learn and practice what the settings do. -Nodes

Yeap....those and another one would be, composition~

http://www.photographymad.com/pages/view/10-top-photography-composition-rules

Lightings, shadows, shapes, basically everything that's written within Principles and Element of Art and Design also applies to photography. And fun too~ XD

Grin, NO HOT WATER??!?!!! That sucks....well...if I were you, I would go out and "lepak" at some mamak restaurant drinking "teh tarik" with my friends.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mamak_stall
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teh_tarik

lepak is.....uhhh.....like loitering.....but in a healthy way.....I think. hanging out...
swollenlymphnodes
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice Photography link Dread.

Also, couldn't appreciate the Malaysian cultural lesson til now since wiki was down yesterday! Sounds like Grin's electric company was protesting SOPA yesterday too. I think you posted a photo of a Mamak stall a few years ago?

Wondering if I could make my own teh tarik? Only black tea and condensed milk?
GrinfilledCelt

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that was a useful link for photography, Dread. I bookmarked it. Although I am not interested in pretending I could be a pro, I am willing to move in that direction by learning as much as I can.

My electric company must be protesting SOPA/PIPA very hard because it's still off. That house is going to be destroyed. Average temperatures the past couple of days has been about 20 degrees F (minus 7 degrees C). I was over there picking up some stuff this evening and so far the pipes haven't frozen yet, but it's just a matter of time.

You can make your own teh tarik, nodes, you may even come up with something delicious, but without someone there who knows the stuff, how are you going to know how successful you were? Also the Mamak Stall link had this line:
Quote:
Teh tarik is strong tea with large doses of sweetened creamer (synthetic milk made from palm oil) and evaporated milk.

So it isn't just tea and condensed milk. Maybe Dread can provide a more accurate recipe.

Now, if you will excuse me, I think I am going to take Dread up on his suggestion and go out and lepak at some mamak restaurant and drink teh tarik with my friends. I'll bet Uncle puts on a good show making it. You are all welcome to come along.

Dread_Knight^Samurai
Space Cowboy
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeap....tea and condensed milk......and you "pulled" it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcTTgU1CSAY

And the water has to be hot....like boiling temperature. And you don't have to "pull" it like the guy in the video...

As for the amount of tea and condensed milk you should use....adjust it until you are satisfied with the taste. Usually I start my day with teh tarik or kopi tarik ( coffee ) at mamak stall. Truth to be told.....I suck at pulling technique.....TT__TT.
GrinfilledCelt

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! That guy in the video is good. He hardly spilled any at all. I'll bet he practiced a lot.

Can you give us a starting point about the milk/tea ratio? 1/1? 2/1? 1/2? 10/1? What about the palm oil? Most of us here have never had/can't get the real thing. How would we know if it's close to right?

Ooh! I'll bet it would be real good with coffee instead of tea. Don't worry about your pulling technique, Dread. That's just for show. If you can do it and only spill half of it, you're good.

Hungry Mongoose
Space Cowboy
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SO A WHILE AGO I GET SOME MESSAGE OUT OF THE BLUE FROM SOME GUY TELLING ME TO COME BACK HERE BUT I DIDN'T REALLY HAVE THE TIME TO DO THAT AT THE TIME BUT NOW THAT I'M SETTLED IN AT MY NEW FLAT AND HAVE WORKING INTERNET I THOUGHT I'D SHOW UP AGAIN.

HI.

Also, get it? "Out of the blue"? Because the board's blue! Ahahaha I haven't changed at all.
GrinfilledCelt

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yay! I was hoping you'd show up, HM. I'm moving too, I just don't know where yet.

So what are you doing that is so important that you couldn't pop in here once or twice in a while?

MidNightBlue
Fayeless Otaku

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yay! Hungry Mongoose is back Blue_PDT_01_03

Everyone seems to be in the middle of moving. I have started on my apartment search. So far there's one possibility that is on the edge of being too expensive and I'm going to go see a couple more places that are cheaper later this week. I'm hoping to settle on something soon.
GrinfilledCelt

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craigslist seems to be a good place to look.

swollenlymphnodes
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha, everyone's favorite resident mongoose has returned.

Welcome back!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Cowboy Bebop Front Forum Index -> The Cowboy Bebop Front All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 30, 31, 32  Next
Page 31 of 32

Jump to: