SOPA/ Protect IP, whatcha think?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Cowboy Bebop Front Forum Index -> The Cowboy Bebop Front
View previous topic :: View next topic  
swollenlymphnodes
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/46072484

SOPA/PIPA off... for now.

I can see megaupload being a very easy target regardless. I use them as a last resort. But it's so shamelessly profit oriented with the numerous ads and capped bandwidth, that I feel dirty using it.
GrinfilledCelt
Jeet Kun Do Kung Fu Master

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember, both of these bills are re-writes of re-writes of re-writes. They're going to re-write them again. They'll keep it up until the finally break the internet.

If these passed, of course the mega download sites would be the first to go. But secondary sites would be clobbered too. YouTube would become very drab with out trailers or game clips or anything derivative of anything else. Review sites like IMDB would be useless if it continued at all. Even this forum would probably be in trouble.

Songs for the flash frozen.
teknoketa
AG Refugee
AG Refugee

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was amazing to see how many people were clueless about SOPA/PIPA. I spent a lot of time educating the people I work with about them, and why they would be so detrimental if passed. It scared me that a lot of people don't seem to understand even the basics of how copyright/IP work.

As an example:

Talking with a co-worker and her take on it was that "It's not that bad if it can stop that... you know, cyber-bullying stuff."

Me: "That's not related to copyright or intellectual property, so it's not covered under this legislation."

"Well they should do something about that, too."

Granted that's an extreme example of the conversations I held, but among a certain demographic, it's almost to be expected.

The fact that the government is being asked to pass legislation at the behest of the MPAA/RIAA in order to protect their failed business models just says to me that our representatives in government do not have our best interests at heart, not that I really ever thought they did. The fact that this was set to be railroaded through until people got pissed is not the way things should work.

Sorry, I'll stop there before I go off on another rant XD

Suffice to say, people did get involved. Many of us DID contact our representatives and spoke out, which was why this worked. But it will take vigilance in the future to guard against this, because they're not going to back down, so neither should we.
GrinfilledCelt

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, Keta. You seem to be well informed unlike your incredibly clueless co-worker. If truth in advertising laws applied to Congress* these bills would be called something like The Protecting Our Biggest Contributor's Interests Act .

*Isn't it amazing how few laws do? Funny how it works out that way.

Songs for the flash frozen.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Cowboy Bebop Front Forum Index -> The Cowboy Bebop Front All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: