What Anime Are You Watching?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 94, 95, 96, 97  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Cowboy Bebop Front Forum Index -> The Cowboy Bebop Front
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GrinfilledCelt
Jeet Kun Do Kung Fu Master

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I've watched one episode from the new season and without my own computer I don't remember which show it was. I'll probably be getting those shows too, jjjynx, and more. How many of them I;m going to watch, I couldn't say. That one about the bodacious pirate girl is supposed to be good but nothing jumps out at me this season. I am several seasons behind on Fate Zero. Can I just jump back into it or should I go dig up the stuff I missed?

I have always been a fan of Armored Core. I still pull out the first two and play them on my old PS One sometimes.

An arcade regular? Isn't that expensive as well as fun?

I'd like to see pictures of your room. As I recall it was somewhat spartan. You had a good manga collection the last I saw, I'll bet its a lot bigger now.

Songs for the flash frozen.
teknoketa
AG Refugee
AG Refugee

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fate/Zero only aired in Fall 2011. There are 13 episodes. It's the prequel to Fate/Stay Night, so you can watch it without worrying what comes after it.

I would highly recommend it. The animation is stunning and the plot is amazing. It was probably the highlight of Fall 2011, not including my unbridled love of Sekai Ichi Hatsukoi.

My biggest disappointment of Fall 2011 was probably the Persona 4 anime. I'm a huge SMT/Persona fan and it just felt like such a huge letdown. I watched the first episode and then didn't even bother to watch any more. I hated the animation, the story changes, and the way the lower half of everyone's face looked like they forgot what soap was for.

I really need to get on my 2012 stuff, but... the dramas have stolen me away from anime for a little bit.
GrinfilledCelt

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All those "other seasons" of Fate/Stay must have been OVAs or some other show altogether. I didn't get around to watching it last Fall, but i did download it. I'll have to dig it up.

I download more stuff than I can watch. Because it has happened before, I guess I have this fear that I will find myself unable to afford an online connection, so I end up hoarding anime. If I lost my connection now I could probably go five years without watching anything I've seen before. =0D

The shows that sticks in my mind from last season are Usagi Drop and Stein's Gate... Wait, those were last Summer, weren't they? Um... ah... let's see... Oh, Last Exile Fam was good... Nothing else comes to mind, but I know there were a few other good shows I was watching but I can't check. It really sucks and blows to be exiled from my computer. It has a number of episodes waiting for me to watch to finish up the last season and the first few episodes form the new season. I'm in video limbo!

The BBC has temporarily stolen me away from anime. They have been running a series of historical reality shows where they get a few families to go live in a historical simulation. One is called Coal House which simulates miner's lives in 1927 and then a squeal with different families using the same mine and dwellings set in 1944 during WWII. Others are The Victorian Farm and The Edwardian Farm using the same people but different farms. I find these very interesting and irresistible.

swollenlymphnodes
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like Last Exile fell through the cracks for me. Put on the back burner and promptly forgot about it.

I did just complete Amagami SS, which is based on a dating simulation game. It's divided into various arcs or the storyline of each particular girl you can end up with. I have to say, it was pretty well done, with certain arcs being pretty creative and each story different enough to keep it interesting. There is a sequel that just started Amagami SS+, so I'll probably grab it once it's complete.

the only other anime I'm watching is Seitokai Yakuindomo, which is hilarious, because of the innocent female characters naive enthusiasm for adult topics. It basically follows a normal male student joining a former all girl school which recently became coed. This explains the girls naivety, and creates for some awkward but hilarious moments. He is forced to join 3 girls in the student council, where he's is tasked to help smooth out the integration.
GrinfilledCelt

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I went over to my house and got my computer. I couldn't stand it anymore. Now I can finish watching shows from last season and find out which subbers I'm getting the new season from.

If you missed the first season of Last Exile a few years ago, nodes, don't worry about it. Last Exile Fam is set in the same world at a different time with completely different characters and story. The only thing in common between the two is their steam powered aeroplanes and the gorgeous artwork. You should catch the first arc if you can, but there is no reason to hold off on Fam.

Now that I have my computer back, I can see what shows I was watching from the last season. Natsume Yuujinchou (Natsume's Book of Friends) was a good one I have been watching for some years. I recently discovered that I missed the first season and can't find it. ='o( Last Fall was season three and they are a couple of episodes into the fourth season now. There is no grand linear story to this one so it probably doesn't matter if you missed the earlier stuff.
ANN wrote:
Plot Summary: Natsume Takashi has the ability to see spirits, which he has long kept secret. However, once he inherits a strange book that belonged to his deceased grandmother, Reiko, he discovers the reason why spirits surround him. Containing the names of these spirits, a binding contract was formed between the spirits and the owner of the book. Now, Natsume is determined to free the spirits and dissolve the contracts. With the help of a spirit cat, his days are filled trying to return the names to these spirits.

I mentioned Chihayafuru elsewhere. Here is what ANN has to say:
Quote:
Plot Summary: Chihaya Ayase is a frank and ebullient girl who becomes fascinated by the obscure world of competitive karuta, a card game based on Japanese poetry. Introduced to the aggressive style of the game by a quiet and thoughtful elementary school classmate named Arata Wataya, the two quickly become close friends. They start playing as a group with Taichi Mashima, Chihaya's smart and athletic childhood friend, until they have to part ways during their middle school years due to several circumstances. As their high school life begins, they meet once again.
Good story and it's an interesting game, too. I was thinking you could make an English version using song lyrics. "There's a lady who's sure... BAM!"

I was also watching Phi Brain - Kami no Puzzle (Puzzle of God) which isn't very good. I can't say why I'm still watching it (three episodes waiting. I hope there aren't more). The plot is absurd, the art is mediocre - it's a lot like Yu-Gi-Oh.
ANN wrote:
Plot Summary: Kaito Daimon is a brilliant 16-year-old teenager who loves to solve puzzles. He acquires an enigmatic item called the Armband of Orpheus that allows him to fully utilize his brain, but that consequentially drains him completely. Currently attending Root Academy as an honor student, he is invited by the school principal to confront a secret organization named POG. They create deadly Sage Puzzles to protect invaluable treasures and challenge the select few individuals capable of facing them. Given the title of Einstein, Kaito battles against the mysterious group in order to keep a promise he made as a kid while at the same time he heads towards the ultimate test: the Divine Puzzle.
Yes, it's that bad.

GrinfilledCelt

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found a small gem in the new season. While I was using my brother's computer I had to guess about what shows I was downloading and who from (and mostly guessing wrong). I have it mostly straightened out now, but this morning I noticed I had episode four of Thermae Romae from gg subs and no others. So I played it to see if it was worth getting the missing ones. It was. I downloaded the rest of them, but the older ones from gg were dead torrents so I got the whole thing from Why Not subs.

At least I think it's the whole thing. It's six ten minute episodes. It's about an ancient Roman architect who, every time he submerges himself in a bath, is transported to a modern Japanese bath. He marvels at the bathroom technology of these strange flat faced people and takes it back to Rome. It's very funny. He is arrogant - "How can these people be more advanced than Rome when they can't even speak Latin?" He is wrong - when he approaches a toilet, wondering why it has a lid, the lid lifts automatically and plays music. He is astounded that they devote so many slaves behind the walls working this thing and playing music. I laughed often even forgave the lousy animation.

teknoketa
AG Refugee
AG Refugee

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the "short episode" vein is Time of Eve, which is very worth watching if you haven't seen it. It's along the lines of GitS (movie) in that it really deals with what it means to be human.

If you haven't seen it, I'd check it out.
GrinfilledCelt

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't seen that anywhere. Have a link or who is subbing it?

teknoketa
AG Refugee
AG Refugee

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.crunchyroll.com/time-of-eve

If you'd like, I have 2 day guest passes I can share.
GrinfilledCelt

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the offer, Keta, save your passes for someone who is interested in signing up with Crunchyroll. I am not a fan of streaming.

One of the shows I started to watch is Kill Me Baby. I saw some poll at ANN that had it near the bottom. Has to be because few people taking that poll know anything about it. It is so funny! It starts out with Oribe Yasuna on her way to school. She introduces herself and says, "I think I'm in high school." She greets a friend by saying "Ohio" and tapping her shoulder. The friend reacts by breaking her wrist (which heals as soon as the joke is done). "Ahhh! You're so mean Sonya-chan! This happens every day. Can't you remember?" "And I do this to you everyday. Learn your lesson already." Sonya-chan does a special type of work. Apparently she's an assassin. It is one of these shows based on a four panel comic strip with one good joke after another. Sonya is afraid of cockroaches (I'm just being cautious of a hygienic threat.) and ghosts (I'm not really scared of them, it's just that I don't know if I can keep one in a headlock... I don't know what I'd do if someone hired me to take care of one.) (They'd already be dead so you'd be fine.) Four episodes out from UTW-Mazui so far. I'm looking forward to the next one.

GrinfilledCelt

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dennou Coil anyone?

swollenlymphnodes
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

???

I checked and saw that I watched it back in March 2009. Some small discussion too. Did you rewatch it?
GrinfilledCelt

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a link, nodes.

http://gizmodo.com/5887152/googles-mystery-hud-glasses-could-be-on-sale-by-the-holidays

GrinfilledCelt

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last night I watched the first episode of Sakamichi no Apollon [Kids on the Slope]. That's the new one directed by Shinichiro Watanabe (Cowboy Bebop) with music by Yoko Kanno (also Cowboy Bebop). It's the first time they have worked together in a long, long time.

Huge Spoiler:

It's r e a l l y good. Nishimi Kaoru is a kid who's father has a job that requires he move around a lot. So Nishimi is accustomed to changing schools often and being treated as an outsider. The first episode has him beginning his first day at a new school and being shunned by the other students as he expects. The only one who is friendly is some geek who asks if he wants to join the Radio Club ("I'm not interested in radios.") but the kid gives him some advise, "It's not a good idea to antagonize the [absent] guy who sits behind me. He's a notorious thug that even the teacher can't manage. His name is [Sentaro] Kawabuchi and if he zeros in on you, it's all over."

Then there is also Mukae Ritsuko, the class representative who shows him around the school. On this tour, some jerk "accidently" beans him with a baseball. Nishimi becomes nauseous when such incidents occcur and has found that going up to the roof helps with this. On his way up, he meets another hostile guy but are interrupted by some seniors who have the keys to the roof and won't give one to Nishimi. So Hostile Guy beats up the seniors to get a key for which he charges Nishimi 100.000 (yen, I guess) which he doesn't have, so he goes back to class. When he gets there he finds that Hostile Guy is the "thug" the radio geek warned him about. Every one thinks it's all over for the new guy but Sentaro seems to like Nishimi for some reason (probably because he doesn't act afraid of him).

[/Spoiler]

This episode references a music album: Moanin' by Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers (1958). I found and downloaded that and it's very good jazz. I can't wait to see what goodies are in episode two.

GrinfilledCelt

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The overall plot of the show isn't all that compelling - a handful of high school kids who are into jazz - but there is masterful storytelling. It's all in the details.

As I suspected, if you're paying attention, each episode (so far) clues you in on some excellent real-world jazz. Episode two mentions Elvin Jones and Tommy Flanagan, but didn't mention any specific album. They are two local Detroit guys. Episode three talks about Bill Evans - Portrait in Jazz. Also, there visual clues in the background of the music shop. There were a number of Miles Davis albums on the wall. It's all really good stuff that I wasn't familiar with before. Bear in mind that the show takes place in 1966 so none of the music is from after that.

Plus Yoko Kanno's soundtrack for the show is available now, too, and it is just as good as I knew it would be.

Is anyone watching this? Am I just talking to the walls again?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Cowboy Bebop Front Forum Index -> The Cowboy Bebop Front All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 94, 95, 96, 97  Next
Page 95 of 97

Jump to: