MOVIES: Old & New, Good & Bad
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Cowboy Bebop Front Forum Index -> The Cowboy Bebop Front
View previous topic :: View next topic  
whjabba
AG Refugee
AG Refugee

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jjjynx wrote:
You're not supposed to watch it seriously, wjabba.

Smiling through the whole thing and getting brainwashed by the song and animation was the main gist of things. If you want to be mind-fugged and set you thinking I suggest you give Mind Games, Paprika and Sky Crawlers a try instead.

Hahah, I suppose that is a bad habit of mine...I tend to think about stuff I watch too much. I did enjoy Paprika a lot. Sky Crawlers I am searching for at the moment.

There was definitely plenty of AWWWW. The noises of Ponyo's siblings (sisters?) are great. It did seem to be building up to something at the end, which was why I (perhaps mistakenly) engaged brain.

My brother once asked me: "why does the anime you watch either make your brain go *ftzzz* or make you diabetic?"
GrinfilledCelt
Jeet Kun Do Kung Fu Master

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You probably will like Sky Crawlers, but it's a bit depressing. The subs may be hard to find, it's been licensed. I saw it at Best Buy today. Mind Games is an odd, fun one. It's a bit elderly but I don't think it was ever licensed.

I liked the sibling's inarticulate voice in Ponyo, too. I thought it was odd that there only seemed to be one voice for all of them. They "fixed" that in the English dub, but it wasn't nearly as charming. There were other small, odd things that caught my attention. Near the end, when Sauce-K was fleeing Fugimoto (Ponyo's dad), he was running along the top of a straight rail fence. He was leaning over to his right at about thirty degrees as he did so. Why did he do that, and why didn't he fall off the fence?

Tell your brother that he hasn't watched enough anime and that he needs to see some that isn't on tv on Saturday mornings. (Even then, it's hard to think of any that doesn't make your brain fart.)

Songs for the flash frozen.
GrinfilledCelt

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How Twilight Works
The Oatmeal wrote:
If you're male and you like Twilight, you're gay. I don't mean that in the derogatory sense, I mean it in the "you want to put your testicles against another man's testicles while gripping handfuls of chesthair" kind of way.
That was close! I was becoming interested in seeing that thing.

GrinfilledCelt

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just finished watching Ip Man 2. It was every bit as good as the first one. I started it just to check out the quality of the copy before going to bed. I ended up watching the whole thing.

Thanks for putting me onto the first one, Jjjynx.

GrinfilledCelt

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I learned about the movie Kikujiro No Natsu because Joe Hisaishi did the music for it (as he did for Miyazaki's films). Try as I might, I couldn't find an English subbed version, so I watched it anyway. I missed all the finer plot points but enjoyed it anyway.

I gathered that it is about a young boy who has been raised by his grandmother and wants to go to his mother in some other part of Japan. Somehow, a penny-less and ill educated man (possibly a low level yakusa thug) agrees to take him.

Somebody go watch this thing and fill me in.

EDIT: I just found a separate sub download. Looks like it works so I'm going to go watch it again. Here's the links to the torrents:

The Movie

The English Subs (If you don't know how to get the sub files to work, just ask.)

GrinfilledCelt

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding Kikujiro No Natsu above; those links do provide an English subbed version of the film. I still think of this movie often. It's a good one for reasons I can't define. Both of the main characters, the kid and the thug, are emotionally dead. They both seem like spectators in their own lives, watching things happen around them with little involvement or concern. Yet the bond between them is undeniable.

Also, for some reason I can't define, this movie strikes me as one that jjjynx would particularly like. I wonder if I am correct in that.

What I really wanted to talk about is that I just finished watching the new Gantz live action movie. ANN's review was spot on. The movie is sanitized of most of the darker aspects of the manga/anime, and many plot points are changed or missing. If you are familiar with the anime or manga you will be a bit disappointed. All the fights are changed and considerably shorter. For instance: that robot guy. The Granny and the kid are killed outright and right away. There is only the one robot and they don't fight him in the river, they fight him in an underground parking structure. The humanoid bird thing inside the robot isn't revealed.

All that said, it is still a very good movie. I plan on showing it to several of my non-anime viewing friends and relatives.

The copy I found was, to my surprise, dubbed (badly) in English.

GrinfilledCelt

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This looks promising, but PLEEEESE, don't let it suck!

'Ender's Game': Meet the Cast!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Cowboy Bebop Front Forum Index -> The Cowboy Bebop Front All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25
Page 25 of 25

Jump to: