A rant by your favorite thanny

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Cowboy Bebop Front Forum Index -> The Cowboy Bebop Front
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jthanatos
AG Refugee
AG Refugee

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 2:30 am    Post subject: A rant by your favorite thanny Reply with quote

Why are there IT people and Network managers at most large corporations? To make the computer systems run smoothly. And why are they required to go to school for many a year for this, and still constantly update the training they have? Because computer networks can be stupidly complex, constantly changing, and seem like your predecessor was about as useful as a one legged man in an ass kicking contest when it came to implementing the current systems. So, we have now established that the IT/Network Management department keeps stuff running smoothly and are highly trained to do it...well, most of us anyway.

So why...oh why, do we not get consulted when the uppers decide on new tech to bring in? And THEN they try to hook crap up without informing anyone, during a special "executive work in". Apparently they were attempting at showing us that they get right in the trenches with us...show us they know what we do. Guess what? They have no damn clue. I DO NOT CARE if you have a nifty MBA from Harvayalebrownheadupmyass University. If you havent been trained in it, dont try to do it...and reading any $h!+ ass "for dummies" book is not training, thats like using ketchup on a cow pie....it helps a bit, but you still dont know $h!+.

Ok, now stuff is fully FUBAR. Shall they call the tech people to fix it? Hell no, we may know nothing about this network we HIRE PEOPLE TO RUN FOR US but we are sure we can fix it ourselves....afterall, they cant be smarter than us, they make less money. Oops, we done screwed everything up. Now what? We leave a note....a....goddamned.....NOTE, on my desk telling me to fix it. I will give you a brief example from the note....."computers not talking....make them work....think it might be hardware"....wait, thats not a sample...thats the whole note. And the execs? Oh, since they worked over the weekend, they are now on vacation, and cannot be reached unless it is "urgent". Apparently fixing the network is not urgent. And of course the immediate superior management wants to know why my department hasnt fixed it yet. Took us two days just to figure out/find out from them what they did. And another three to get anything like normal back for the system. And all of that with overtime as well....un....paid.....required....overtime. So now it is fixed...the execs have been back...one had the gall to say "about time", and our group got treated to a free meal at IHOP.....IHOP.

Now some morals from this rant.
First, If someone has gone to school many years to do what you are about to attempt, and you have not.....dont do it
Second, If you screw up something, call the techs right away...the cure for stupidity is not hemorraging more stupidity.
Third, Paygrade =/= intellegence
Finally....anyone have a new job for me?

Anywho sorry for the rant, this is why i have been absent. Hopefully this doesnt happen too many more times, lol.
swollenlymphnodes
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think management being trained to mismanage any type of company is a universal thing. I worked in a hospital, and yup, you got it, let's mismanage this place where lives are at stake. Had a superviser, the head of the entire hospital care, just up and leave. Just UP AND LEAVE. Dropped everything and walked out, because it was so bad.

I feel your pain thanny. I hate it when people give you work that just does not need to be done, if some restraint is exercised.

That's why I'm self-employed for now, and besides the fact that it isn't a gold mine, it sure is the most fun I've ever had. Looking to pick up another job soon. Actually real soon. Apparently there's been a meeting today to decide my fate.

Anyway, good to have you back to the more important stuff.
jjjynx
Jeet Kun Do Kung Fu Master

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm quoting off a book, I forgot which...but it's also on human stupidity...

"A few of the most common questions asked by technicians to mere common in-duh-viduals:

1. Did you turn on the power switch?
2. Did you connect the wires correctly?
3. Did you customize/TOUCH the settings?

yea sure, this is even asked so ever often, and replied with a negative answer in the info tech industries that it's so darn disturbing which is why we always wanted to, but fail to ask this main question.

"Did you do something Stupid?" "
GrinfilledCelt

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." - Albert Einstein

Songs for the flash frozen.
IronPoke
Forum Dullard
Forum Dullard

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's awful. I'm not in IT at my work but the unfortunate ones that are get forced into 80 hour work weeks (no OT, just salary of course) when new schite from the corporation that owns the place gets shipped in. A couple of new systems brought online in the past 6 months have been nothing but trouble. You have to wonder why spending $30,000 on a new system amounts to any sort of monetary gain when all it does is screw up and slow down a process that was working just fine to begin with.
jjjynx

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They wanted "Great Special Effects" perhaps?
JetBlack87
Black Dog
Black Dog

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a rant contest at http://www.animenewsnetwork.com but it has to be anime related. So anyone that wants to rant about anime...I think you can win stuff(not sure though and I already closed the tab).
swollenlymphnodes
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

where is our favorite thanny?
IronPoke
Forum Dullard
Forum Dullard

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably being worked to death in the cruel, cruel IT world...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Cowboy Bebop Front Forum Index -> The Cowboy Bebop Front All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: